SEND information

The local offer provides information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care. Knowing what is out there gives you more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for your child.

How will Selside CE School identify that my child needs additional support?
How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think a child/young person may have special educational needs?
We have close relationships with parents and our on-site Pre-School. Class teachers are encouraged to raise concerns and have discussions with parents and relevant colleagues. All staff are aware of expected development at different ages and have expertise in identifying additional / special educational needs and disability (SEND).
If you have a concern about your child’s development please raise this with the class teacher in the first instance.

How will school staff support my child ?
Class teachers are responsible for the education of all the children in their class. They plan the education programme for children who have or may have SEND with support from the school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), Miss Lowther. Where appropriate, children may be supported by an additional adult. For example, this support could be in class; in a small group outside the class or one-to-one.
The school has a nominated governor for Special Educational Needs, Jen Armitstead (who reports directly to the governing body).

What Special Educational Needs do we deal with?

We are able to support children with a range of SEND in school. These may be physical, developmental (such as autism, dyslexia or processing difficulties) or needs relating to emotional and behavioural development.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may have SEND. Additional intervention and support may be appropriate in some cases.
This will enable your child to access the full curriculum.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?
In addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, we also have an “open door” policy to enable more informal and frequent conversations with you and your child.
The progress of each child is carefully monitored and tracked on a regular basis. This, along with other information gathered informs staff on the next steps for your child.
Progress and targets are discussed as part of the school’s normal reporting arrangements.
In some cases, your child may require an individual support plan or behaviour management plan which will be drawn up in consultation with you and your child and reviewed regularly. For some children with profound and lifelong needs an Education Health and Care Assessment may be requested with advice and support from external agencies.
Where appropriate, we signpost parents to relevant agencies within the communities who can offer further support to you and your child. Follow this link to view the Cumbria Local Offer.

How do we consult with pupils and involve them in decisions made?

Children are always involved in making plans to support them in their learning.  They contribute formally to the EHCP progress and IEP reviews. They can express their views through a range of ways including drawing, filming or written comments.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?
Pastoral care is the class teacher’s responsibility. With small classes, staff get to know children very well. Sometimes additional small group or individual support is needed to meet specific needs and support the wellbeing of children with SEND and to promote positive behaviour. For example, nurture groups, circle time and Social Use of Language Programme.
The school follows statutory guidance in the administration of medicines and provision of personal care.
Further information can be found in the relevant policies on our website.

How do we prevent bullying of children with Special Educational Needs?

We do not tolerate any forms of bullying at Selside School. This includes verbal and physical bullying and deliberately leaving children out. We educate our children about valuing everyone regardless of differences; to behave towards others as you would like them to behave towards you.  Anti bullying week, PSHCE and circle times are used to support children’s emotional and mental well-being and avoid bullying. Further details can be found in our behaviour policy.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
There is a wealth of experience and expertise in the school staff including those trained in Reading Intervention, Dyslexia and Maths recovery. Most staff members are team -teach trained and have paediatric first aid qualifications.
There is access to counselling and family support services for children within the school.
Referrals can also be made to other agencies including the school nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Barnardo’s, educational psychologists and specialist advisory teachers.

What training are the staff receiving or have completed to support children and young people with SEN?
Staff share expertise through collaborative training opportunities within SLRP and CASL as well as accessing local and national training. Individual staff development needs are identified and met as part of the formal appraisal process. The SENCo has a specialist teacher of Dyslexia qualification.

How accessible is the school environment?
Please refer to the school’s access plan.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?
We have strong links with our on-site Pre-school and secondary schools and with other local primary schools.
All transitions within school are carefully managed to support children’s wellbeing. A range of transition strategies are put in place to support children at the end of key phases – e.g. transition plans and extra visits.
The receiving school is schools are invited to attend transition meetings to share information about your child and to ensure a positive transition. In all cases there will be liaison and communication between the schools.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
We allocate resources appropriately to meet the needs of all children with special educational needs. Children will Education and Health Care plans receive additional support through the plan. All children who need additional help will have an Individual Education plan or Intervention plan which will detail the support provided.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?
The decisions about the type of support your child needs will be based on discussions between all interested parties including you as a parent. The amount and type of support will be reviewed on a regular basis against the progress your child has made.

How do we evaluate the effectiveness of SEND provision?

SEND provision forms a key aspect of our school monitoring and evaluation work.  This includes being specifically monitored by the governor responsible for SEND; Mrs Jen Armitstead.

Complaints about SEN

If you have a complaint about SEND provision for your child, please come in and talk to the SENCo, June Lowther. Since I am also the headteacher, if we cannot resolve the issue together we will involve the SEND governor. We may suggest accessing specialist advice. If you are still not happy, then you should follow the school’s complaint procedure.

Contact details: Miss J Lowther,  Selside School, 01539 823649