Subject Leader – Miss Hannah Plant
Sports Coach – Mrs Nikki Jones
PE Curriculum Intent Statement
At Selside School, we recognise the role that PE has to play in promoting a long-term healthy lifestyle which is both enjoyable and fulfilling. PE is used as a vehicle to support both the physical and mental well-being of our children. At Selside School we aim to provide a high-quality physical education curriculum that follows and fulfils the National Curriculum requirements. PE at Selside School has long term plans which are coherently sequenced and planned, providing both a clear progression of skills and a framework that can be adapted to meet the needs of all children. Through an ambitious curriculum, lesson time, specialist coaching and our broad range of sports clubs, we support pupils in developing a skilful use of the body. At Selside School, we aim for all pupils to be physically literate and to have the knowledge, skills and cultural capital necessary to enable them to succeed in a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
PE Long Term Plan – Year A
PE Long Term Plan- Year B
PE Assessment & Vocabulary Progression
Primary National Curriculum – Physical Education
At Selside School we also recognise the vital role PE has to play in the holistic development of the children. Our core Values respect, courage and friendship are reflected in every lesson. Finally, we understand that PE, physical activity and school sport make an extensive contribution towards aspects of pupils’ social, moral, spiritual and cultural development and so we strive to make the children aware of vital components of PE such as determination, persistence and resilience which we aim to translate in to all other subjects across our broad and balanced curriculum. We aim to constantly improve our enrichment and cultural capital offering:
- Sponsored Run/Walk
- Swimming Gala
- Inter School Competitions
- Key Steps Gymnastics
- Sports Leaders (Y6)
- House Captains (Y2 & Y6)
- Playtime Buckets
- Targeted After School club Activities with Sports Coach
- Fixed Equipment (Adventure Trails)
- Sports’ Day
- Day Trip and Residential
We want our Pupils to become Sportspeople who have:
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- High levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.